A passport certifies the identity and nationality of the holder for the international travelling purpose. It is a travel document issued by the government.
A standard passport contains Name, DOB and place, signature and photograph and other details of the holder.
Steps to apply for a passport (Online) in India:
1. The person can apply for a passport online. Visit www.passportindia.gov.in (passport seva portal)
2. Register yourself as a new user by creating a User Id on the website.
3. For registration, the user must first have a valid email Id. Then Fill details in the Registration form and click on the Register button. A registration confirmation mail will be sent to your e-mail id.
4. Once you have registered, Login to the portal. Enter the Used ID, Password and displayed captcha characters and click on the login button.
5. Next step is to select the required service (Apply for Fresh Passport / reissue of passport).
6. You can apply for a passport / reissue passport in two ways.
– Download the e-Form and Upload Later
– Filling an application form online.
7. If you select the first method of applying then download the e-Form, fill the required details and upload it later. This can be done by clicking on the link “Click here to download the soft copy the form.”
8. Download e-Form for required service.
9. Fill the e-Form offline.
10. Upload the filled e-form.
11. If you have selected the second method of application, then click on the hyperlink click here to fill the application form online.
12. Enter the passport type information.
13. Then enter the applicant details and click on save my details button to avoid losing entered data and click on next to proceed.
14. Enter the family details, present address details etc. And verify your details carefully.
15. Select I Agree checkbox and then click the Submit form button to submit the form.
16. Make Payment and Schedule an appointment for visiting the PSK (Passport Seva Kendra).
17. Choose the mode of payment. Select PSK, Enter captcha characters and click on Next.
18. Earliest available Appointment dates will be displayed. Then click on Pay and book appointment to proceed for appointment booking.
19. Then click the payment mode of your choice and pay the application fee amount.
20. Once your appointment is confirmed for visiting the PSK, Print the Application Receipt.
21. Check the date and time of your appointment on application receipt.
22. For more details and clarification, you can contact national call Centre at toll free number 1800-258-1800.
Steps to apply for the passport (offline) in India:
1. The applicant can get the passport application from the passport office / Speed post centers / DPCs.
2. As the passport application form is Machine readable. You have to follow certain instructions:
– Use only capital letters. Avoid mistakes.
– Use either blue or black ball pen only. Don’t use pencil or a fountain pen (ink-pen).
– Write clearing within the boxes without meeting the boundaries of the box. Also leave one box after completion of one word.
– Avoid overwriting.
– Do not submit the incomplete form, it will not be accepted.
3. The application can be submitted at the Speed post centers, passport office, passport collection, district passport cells centers.
4. Fee to be submitted according to the fee structure mentioned.
Documents required & verification process India
- ID Proof, Address Proof, Birth certificate